Saturday, August 04, 2007

Slides on evolution of 1 Gig to 10 Gig EPON

An excellent presentation made by Dr. Glen Kramer, Chief Scientist at Teknovus at the ITU-T/IEEE Workshop on Carrier-Class Ethernet in Geneva Switzerland is available here.

The presentation motivates the need to upgrade to a 10 Gig EPON standard showing the high bandwidth requirement from a Multiple Dwelling Unit (MDU) with large number of EPON subscribers. Challenges in the standardization activity, particularly meeting the power budget are documented.

Although Dr. Kramer puts some emphasis on the bandwidth requirements of HDTV broadcast TV and 4th generation mobile, I believe that the greatest demand is going to depend on the success of Video on Demand (VoD). I believer that I have aired my views on the potential of VoD before, please read my thoughts here.

No comments: